10 Ways to Save Energy in Winter
With cold days and even colder nights, many homeowners and apartment-dwellers alike are bumping up the heat. But at the end of the month, you find yourself stuck with an expensive electric bill. At Orbit, we pride ourselves in saving customers money. So here are ten ways you can save energy (and money) this winter. The best part? Orbit can help you with almost all of them!
- Check your system’s efficiency. If your heating system is old or not properly maintained, it may be using more energy than it should need to keep your home warm. Oversized equipment is also inefficient. Have a technician evaluate your system to make sure it is producing heat properly.
2. Find ‘leaks’ in your home. Cold air may be getting in through drafty areas of your home. These leaks also let the warm air out, which means your system is running constantly to try to combat the draft. Perform an energy audit on your home to find leaky and drafty areas.
3. Pair your heating system with a humidifier. By installing a humidifier in your heating system, the air in your home will be less dry and harsh on your skin. It also helps your home to feel warmer, allowing you to turn down the thermostat a few degrees without feeling colder.
4. Replace your boiler. If your heating system is 12-15 years old or older, chances are it isn’t functioning as it should. Replace it with a new one to improve its efficiency and reduce the number of repairs it may need. Constantly fixing your system every time it has a worn out part adds up fast.
5. Install LED lights. Using LED lightbulbs can reduce your energy usage compared to incandescent bulbs. They also last longer, so you have to buy bulbs less often. It’s a double-save! This can especially save you money over the holidays, when many people use more lights to deck the halls and prepare for the festive season.
6. Switch to solar energy. We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again— one of the best ways to spend less on your energy costs is to switch to solar energy. The sun is a free resource for energy. With solar panels, you can harness that energy and drastically reduce or even eliminate your electric bill. And all the while, you’re helping the planet! Solar is kind of our specialty, so we’d be thrilled to get you set up.
7. Turn off appliances or electronics that you aren’t using. If you aren’t using your hairdryer or toaster, of course you have them turned off. But it’s even better to have things you aren’t using unplugged. Your cell phone charger, for example, shouldn’t be plugged into the outlet if you aren’t actually charging your phone.
8. Utilize your blinds and curtains. Using thick curtains around or over your windows can help to keep out the cold and drafty air. When it’s sunny, open your curtains and let the light stream in to help warm up the room naturally.
9. Don’t block your vents. Putting furniture like a dresser or sofa in front of a vent blocks the warm air. Let the heater warm up the whole room instead of just the back of the furniture!
10. Clean or replace your air filters. Making sure that your air filters are fresh and clean can help to keep your system running more efficiently. It also helps to ensure that the air flowing through your house is clean and free of extra dust, dander, pollen, pet hair, and other pollutants.
By following these ten energy-saving tips, you can reduce your energy costs and be more comfortable in your own home. Our HVAC Team is fully equipped to assist you with any heating and cooling needs!